Explore the Beauty of the Jurassic Coast
Set in the pretty town of Charmouth with a glorious beach only 5 minutes walk away, beautiful coastal walks, and market towns like Bridport to idly wander around, The Abbots House is the perfect base if you want to explore the South West.
The popular coastal town of Lyme Regis is a 5 minute drive to the West, with frequent buses also serving the route. Further afield, the cathedral city of Exeter offers plenty of shopping opportunities in its newly redeveloped centre with national chains and independent boutique and designer stores.
Alternatively, if you want to sit in front of the fire reading a good book, before retiring to the comfort of your spacious room for a quiet nap and a long bath, you can just make yourself at home.
Some more ideas for things to do in the local area:
- Go for a coastal walk along the stunning Jurassic Coast or the Marshwood Vale – contact Marshwood Trails for walking tours and cycle rides. www.marshwoodtrails.co.uk
- Sample the abundance of fresh, local produce at Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall’s Food Store in Axminster, or one of the many local farmer’s markets.
- Discover some of the beautiful countryside of South and West Dorset which inspired the works of literary greats, such as Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy and John Fowles. www.literarylyme.co.uk
- Try out a woodworking course. www.mallinson.co.uk/
- Wander around one of the art galleries, antique shops and boutiques, in the neighbouring towns of Bridport and Honiton.
- Do something different and try out fishing or scuba diving from West Bay or Lyme Regis.
- Be entertained at the Marine Theatre in Lyme Regis.
01297 560 280
The Royal Oak
01297 560 277
The Old Bank Café
01297 561 600
Charmouth Fish bar & Pizzeria
01297 560 220
The Beach Cafe
The Town Mill Bakery
01297 444 757
La Quilla Indian Restaurant
01297 442 505
Hix Oyster & Fish House
01297 446 910
River Cottage Canteen
01297 631 862
Other Things to do ...
Antiques & Bric-a-Brac
Selection of shops in High Street
Warehouse by River Exe with several floors of various bric-a-brac
St Michaels Trading Estate
Street Market Wednesday and Saturday
Cinema & Theatre
Electric Palace Bridport
Burrow Farm Gardens
Abbotsbury Sub-Tropical Gardens
Mapperton House and Gardens
Bennetts Water Gardens – Chickerell
Please note – If you are going to River Cottage – Park Farm by taxi, it is important to book a taxi in advance
Floyds Taxis Charmouth
01297 560 733
Lyme Regis Taxis
07900 69 85 69